Former Sheffield United and Man City star Ched Evans released amid contraversy.

32

ched evansFormer Sheffield United striker Ched Evans has been released from prison after serving half of his five-year sentence for rape.

The 25-year-old was found guilty in April 2012 of raping a 19-year-old woman in a hotel in May 2011.

Almost 150,000 people have signed a petition urging Sheffield United not to take the Wales international back.

But according to the BBC, Blades manager Nigel Clough said he had held talks with club officials about the possibility of Evans returning.

And Clough told BBC Radio Sheffield on Wednesday: “We’ve had one or two discussions and the owners will make a decision on it.

“It is above a football level. If he comes back then we [the coaching staff] will decide whether to play him or not.”

United signed the player for £3m in 2009, but released him the month after he
was convicted of raping a woman at a hotel near Rhyl, Denbighshire.

But this isn’t just a football issue as the big political guns have entered the fray.

Professional Footballers’ Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said last week that Evans should be allowed to continue his career after his release.

But in contrasyt, deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg urged the club’s owners to “think really long and hard” before re-signing Evans.

Clegg, MP for Sheffield Hallam, said: “When you take a footballer on, you are not taking just a footballer these days, you are also taking on a role model.”

Richard Caborn, former sports minister and ex-MP for Sheffield Central, said Evans must “show remorse and say sorry” before he can be considered for a return to playing professionally.

READ  NEWS/ Chelsea issue Carneiro apology

Jill Saward, who was raped in the notorious Ealing Vicarage  case in 1986, believes allowing Evans to play professional football again would send out “a totally wrong message”.

“We don’t want young people being influenced by icons or celebrities who have a past like this,” Saward, a high-profile victim of crime campaigner,  told BBC Breakfast.

“I’m not saying he can’t do anything in football but I don’t think he should be playing.”

Christopher Stacey, director of reformed offenders’ charity Unlock,  argued on Breakfast that Evans deserves a second chance.

“There is a difference between condoning his behaviour and giving him a job,” said Stacey.

“People like Ched Evans have to go somewhere. They are back in the world and we have to find a way of reintegrating them.

“Ultimately people have to be the best at the job they are going for and that’s a decision Sheffield United have to make as an employer.”

Meanwhile, Evans maintains his innocence and will make a “very personal and profound” statement on his website next week. Evans denied the offence, but was found guilty by a jury at Caernarfon Crown Court.

A statement on his website on Friday said he would continue to “fight to clear his name”.

It added: “Next week Ched will make a very personal and profound statement by video. Ched is now adjusting to normal life after serving a sentence for a crime consistently denied.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here